A home in Big Springs has endured two separate fires in the past week, with the second one destroying a good portion of the home.
Big Springs Fire Chief Kelly Kopetzky says firefighters were called to the home in the 500 block of East 4th Street in Big Springs on Thursday at about midnight. The homeowner says his dog alerted him to a fire that started on the 2nd level of the two-story home. Kopetzky says a scented candle appears to have been the cause of the fire. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze with moderate to minimal damage to the second floor.
Then on Sunday night, firefighters were called to the same home for a second fire – this one appears to have been started by a lamp on a table, according to Kopetzky. The second fire destroyed or damaged a good portion of the main floor of the home.
Kopetzky says he doesn’t anticipate any charges being filed in either fire as they were both considered accidents in the preliminary investigation.
No injuries were reported in either fire, and damage estimates have not been released.
(Copyright 2012 by Clear Channel Ogallala. All Rights Reserved.)
(Image courtesy of Stock.xchng)